1. How do I apply?

Access application for funding. The application is titled “George Mason University Incident Reporting Form.”

  1. When can I submit my application?

For Spring Term 2024, the application is open January 9th at 10:00 AM ET through May 1st at 5:00 PM ET. Only emergency expenses incurred during or applicable to the Spring Term 2024 can be reviewed. We will not accept any past semester or future semester expenses.

  1. What funding is available?

This process is for emergencies or unexpected financial challenges, designed to provide temporary, short-term financial assistance. Emergency funding is a last resort for students who need it most and should not be considered part of a student’s financial planning. All federal financial aid options must be exhausted first, including having a current 2023-2024 FAFSA on file (if eligible) AND accepting and receiving all offered subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

  1. How do I qualify for funding?

To qualify for funding, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • Enrolled in at least 1 credit hour in a degree-seeking program at Mason during the academic term for which the emergency funding application is made; and
  • Exhausted all other sources of financial assistance, including having a current 2023-2024 FAFSA on file if eligible to complete AND accepting and receiving all offered subsidized and unsubsidized loans if eligible for federal aid; and
  • For Undergraduate students, earned at least 12 credits in current program at Mason prior to the current term application; and
  • For Graduate students, earned at least 9 credits in current program at Mason prior to the current term application; and
  • For Undergraduate students, have a minimum GPA of 2.00; and
  • For Graduate students, have a minimum GPA of 3.00; and
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.00 GPA as undergrad/3.00 GPA as graduate + 67% completion rate);
  • Demonstrate an unexpected financial hardship resulting from an emergency or crisis; and
  • Provide documentation to support the request as may be required by the Stay Mason Fund committee.
  1. Is there a maximum amount I can apply for?

There is no limit on how much you can request. However, the amount of funding awarded is determined by the review committee. You will need to submit documentation to support each expense for which you seek assistance. In making awards, the review committee is subject to federal and university guidelines and funding limits as well as the availability of funds.

  1. What should I know about completing my application?

You will access the application via Guardian, our platform, and follow these steps:

  • The application is titled “George Mason University Incident Reporting Form.”
  • Enter Date and Time; for Location, you can select “Unknown;” and for Building and Specific Location, you can select “None.”
  • Answer eligibility questions.
  • Enter the amount requested AND identify your funding needs by checking only the categories of expenses that apply (please do not check all of the boxes unless you can provide documentation).
  • Provide a detailed explanation of your current financial hardship (what is your situation).
  • Upload documentation under “Supporting Documentation” for each item of expense checked.
  • Enter your Name and Role (student). Your G Number, Phone Number, and Email Address should automatically populate.
  • Sign the application and hit SAVE first and then hit Submit.
  1. What documentation do I need to supply with my application?

It is very important that you supply documentation to support each item requested. The documentation you submit will depend on what you are requesting. For example, if you request assistance for:

  • Rent/Housing – Submit copy of current lease or mortgage statement showing your name, the monthly rent/payment due, and the number of housemates. If your name is not on lease or mortgage OR if you have no lease, supply signed statement from owner or account holder that confirms you live at the premises and how much you contribute to the rent/payment per month.
  • Utilities/Phone/Wifi/Internet – Submit copy of each current bill showing service provider, your name, due date, and amount due. Also, identify how many persons are covered by the utility. If bill is not in your name, supply signed statement from owner or account holder that confirms your use of that service and how much you contribute monthly to each bill. A paid receipt is not sufficient documentation.
  • Computer/Laptop – Submit the following items:
  • An authentic photo of the current problem with your present computer/laptop; AND
  • A repair cost estimate from a computer repair shop that identifies the problem with your computer and the cost of repair; if the shop says that your computer is not repairable, the estimate must identify that; AND
  • Letter of support signed and currently dated from your professor that identifies that a new computer is needed to perform your current course work; AND
  • A new computer/laptop estimate (copy of current bill or cost estimate that shows provider, item description, and cost (e.g., phone or computer screenshot, invoice, receipt).
  • Technology/Equipment – Submit copy of current bill or cost estimate that shows provider, item description, and cost (e.g., phone or computer screenshot, receipt).
  • Books/Course Materials – Submit copy of current receipt or cost estimate for each item connected with Mason course (e.g., phone or computer screenshot, bookstore printout, department invoice).
  • Health Insurance – Submit copy of current bill or receipt which shows provider, your name, amount due/paid, and coverage term.
  • Medical Expense – Submit copy of current bill or statement showing service provider, your name, and account balance due after insurance.
  • Car Payment/Car Insurance/Car Repair – Submit copy of current bill showing provider, your name, due date, and amount due. For car repair, the expense must be unexpected or an emergency; funding is not available for routine maintenance or vehicle or tire replacement. If bill is not in your name, supply signed statement from owner or account holder that confirms your use of that vehicle and how much you contribute monthly or otherwise to the bill.
  • Childcare – Supply copy of current arrangement with your childcare provider including cost.
  • Food/Groceries – You do not need to supply receipts for purchased food or groceries.
  • Tuition and Fees – Funding for tuition and fees is limited and reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You do not need to supply documentation for tuition and fees.
  • DACA Renewal Fee – Submit copy of current EAD card which shows your name and expiration date.

IMPORTANT – We need to see FULL copies of leases, bills, receipts, statements, cost estimates, and any other documentation. All documents must identify your name, the provider name (e.g., Verizon, Geico, ATT, etc), amount due or cost, due dates (if any), and a description of what the document is for. Make sure you have appropriate documentation that can justify each item of your request, and that all documentation supplied is either in your name or is utilized by you. If the document is not in your name, you need to identify whose name is on the document, how you are related to that person, and what you contribute. Emergency assistance is not available for undocumented expenses and expenses belonging to others.

Documentation that is considered NOT appropriate to support your request:

  • Bank account statements showing debits for rent, utilities, etc. (must have lease and actual bills/statements)
  • Credit card statements showing charges for items requested (must supply actual bills/invoices)
  • Medical appointment scheduling or prescription orders or EOBs (explanation of benefits) (must have actual bills)
  • Letters from potential landlords with proposed rental terms (must have actual signed lease or current signed statement from landlord or owner confirming rental, term, and monthly rent)
  • Bills or receipts dated prior to January 9, 2024.
  1. How do I submit my documentation?

Please label your documentation to correspond to the item requested (for example, electric service – Feb 2024 or phone bill – Feb 2024). Upload your documentation under the “Supporting Documentation” section of the application. You can Click or Drag & Drop documents. Once uploaded, you can see your documents listed in the space provided. While there is no limit to the number of items you can submit, we suggest you carefully select current items to match the categories of expenses requested. Do not send your documentation via email. We will only accept documentation submitted through the application. Files over 25 MB will not be accepted; and files with .MOV or .HEIC extensions will not be accepted. PDF displayed documents are preferred. HEIC-formatted documents should be converted to PDFs before uploading. Documents with password protections should be converted to unprotected PDFs. If we are unable to open any document, the review process will be delayed while we attempt to obtain a readable document, or the request for that item may be denied.

  1. What happens after I submit my application?

When you hit “SUBMIT FORM,” you will receive a confirmation pop-up message letting you know your application was submitted and giving you a Case Number. Make sure you record that Case Number. Once submitted, your application is reviewed by a committee. Please allow up to 21 business days for a response from the committee. You may be asked by the committee via email to provide additional information to support your request, and you will be given a deadline of one week to submit that documentation You will submit the additional documentation via a link provided in the email.

  1. What if I received prior emergency assistance funding?

The review committee will take into consideration all prior awards for emergency assistance. If you received funding during the present term, you cannot be considered for additional funding except in very limited circumstances and subject to the committee’s approval. In addition, if you received prior funding for an item already, the committee may determine that the need has been met.

  1. How will I receive the funds if approved?

How awards are distributed will depend on the source of the funding.  The University will determine the source and method of fund delivery. Students cannot make special requests for disbursement of funds.

If the award is funded through Stay Mason Student Support Fund, the award is processed by Student Accounts and will be posted to your student account. If the award comes through the George Mason University Foundation, the award is processed by the Foundation and is disbursed by check and mailed directly to you, unless the award is designated for tuition and fees which means the award will be posted to your student account to pay the balance and any remaining funds will be refunded to you. Any mailed check will be sent to the address on file with the University so make sure your address is up-to-date.

Funds posted to your student account will first be applied toward any balance owed for tuition and fees; after the balance is paid, you will be refunded the remaining award amount. If you do not have a balance, you will be refunded a check in the full amount of the award. Funds via direct deposit to your personal bank account will be distributed within five-to-seven business days if you previously set up direct deposit. If you do not have direct deposit, a check will be mailed to your address on file with the University.

To set up direct deposit, follow these instructions to submit a direct deposit authorization. For questions,  contact Student Accounts or call (703) 993-2000.

  1. Why do I have to supply a W-9 or W-8BEN form and a Tax Accountability Letter?

Pursuant to IRS guidelines, we are required to collect a W-9 form or a W-8BEN form for emergency assistance awards funded through the George Mason University Foundation. The Foundation also requires completion of a Tax Accountability Letter. The W-9 form applies to students who have a social security number issued by the U.S. The W-8BEN form applies to students who do not have a U.S.-issued social security number. If you receive an award funded through the Foundation, you will be emailed the tax form and a link to download your completed form. You will also be emailed a link to access and complete the Tax Accountability Letter.

  1. How many applications for funding can I submit while at Mason?

Only one application for funding can be considered per term.  Students can apply and be granted assistance through the emergency funding process up to a maximum of 3 times during their entire academic career at Mason (undergraduate, graduate, law, and certificate program enrollments).

  1. If I was denied funding, can I reapply or ask for reconsideration?

No, you cannot reapply, and there is no reconsideration available following a decision on your submitted request. The decision of the review committee is final. You can however apply in a future term for funding if you face an unexpected emergency and meet the eligibility criteria at that time.

  1. Does my award count as taxable income?

It depends on the funding source. This funding is considered “institutional grant assistance,” and may be subject to federal taxes. You should report this as you would any grants you have/will receive. You should also consult with your tax advisor. Some eligible students may receive a form 1099-T from Student Accounts at the end of the tax year with all grants and scholarships received. Keep the award email you receive just in case you need to provide it when you submit your taxes or when you fill out your FAFSA next year. If your award is paid through the George Mason University Foundation, you will be asked to complete and sign a Tax Accountability Letter prior to disbursement of your award.

  1. My situation has changed since submitting my request, and I need additional funding to stay enrolled but I cannot reapply. What do I do?

We recognize that students experience unexpected challenges, and Mason is committed to helping students navigate through those challenges. While this funding process does not allow for reapplications, we encourage you to contact the Stay Mason Student Support Fund at smfund@gmu.edu and identify your change in circumstances. There is no guarantee that funding will be available, but there may be other resources and options that can be explored to assist you.

  1. I am enrolled and attend classes at Mason Korea campus but am taking some courses at Mason Fairfax. Can I qualify for emergency funding through this process?

Because of tax and contractual issues, students who are based at the Mason Korea campus are not eligible to apply for and receive emergency assistance through this process. There are resources available to Mason Korea students including an emergency assistance funding program for tuition relief. However, we recognize that some Mason  Korea students are required to enroll in and attend classes at Mason Fairfax for a semester or a year, and are therefore considered Mason Fairfax students. In that case, those students could be eligible to apply for emergency assistance through this process.

  1. I am an international student enrolled at Mason under a foreign government sponsorship. Can I qualify for emergency funding through this process?

No. There is a contractual arrangement between the foreign government and GMU whereby the student’s tuition and fees as well as some living expenses are paid by the foreign sponsor. The University bills the foreign sponsor. So, any funding that a student under this type of sponsorship may be granted or may receive separately will impact and reduce the funding that the sponsor is billed and pays.