The Patriot Pantry provides access to non-perishable food items and toiletries to George Mason University students who are unable to afford them. We raise awareness about food insecurity and homelessness within the Mason student population. We strive to educate and unite our community.
The Patriot Pantry is primarily managed by student workers with the assistance of volunteers. The Pantry is housed under the Student Support and Advocacy Center (SSAC) in the Division of University Life. In addition to providing non-perishable food and personal items, we also strive to educate student users about the resources available on campus and in the surrounding community.
All the items in the Pantry are donated, so we function primarily through the support of others!
Student Pantry Access
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates:
Current Patriot Pantry Services:
Due to the university’s response to COVID19, our operations have been altered. We will update our community as quickly as possible with new operation status. For any immediate needs or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-993-3686.
If you are a current enrolled Mason student in a degree-seeking program that is financially impacted by the COVID-19/Coronavirus you can apply for the Student Emergency Assistance Fund. Please review the application for eligibility and email email@example.com if you have further qualifying questions.
Capital Area Food Bank:
The Capital Area Food Bank has uploaded an Interactive Partner Map specifically for the COVID-19 response in the DC Area. It highlights many community resources still operating and providing resources. Please visit https://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/covid19response/ for resources in your area.
- Alive Incorporated: visit https://www.alive-inc.org/, call: 703–837-9300
- Salvation Army (Alexandria Citadel Corps): visit http://salvationarmynca.org/alexandria-va/, call: 703–836-2427
- Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC): visit https://afac.org/, call: 703–845–8486
- Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network (A-SPAN): visit https://www.a-span.org/what-we-do/homeless-bagged-meal-program-hbmp, call: 703-228-7815
- Salvation Army (Arlington Corps): visit http://salvationarmynca.org/arlington-va/, call: 571–259-5967
- Ecumenical Community Helping Others-ECHO: visit https://nativityburke.org/service/echo/, call: 703-455-2400, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FACETS: visit http://facetscares.org/, call: 703-352-5090, email: Facets@FacetsCares.org
- Food for Others: visit https://www.foodforothers.org , call: 703-207-9173, email: email@example.com
- Lorton Community Action, visit: https://lortonaction.org/healthy-families/, call: 703-339-5161, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. Leo the Great Catholic Church: visit https://stleofairfax.com/, call: 703-273-5369
- Dulles South Food Pantry: visit https://www.dsfp.org/ , call: 703-507-2795
- Loudoun Hunger Relief (FKA Loudoun Interfaith Relief): visit https://www.loudounhunger.org/ , call: 703-777-5911, email: email@example.com
- Reston Bible Church Food Pantry: visit https://www.restonbible.org/care/foodpantry/, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seven Loaves Services: visit https://www.sevenloavesmiddleburg.org/, call: 540-687-3489, email: email@example.com
Prince William County
- ACTS (Action in Community Through Services) Hunger Prevention Center: visit https://www.actspwc.org/, call: 703-441-8606, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Haymarket Food Pantry: visit https://haymarketfoodpantry.org/, call: 703-963-5918
- Hunger Resource Center (Northern Virginia Family Service): visit https://www.nvfs.org/our-services/health-well-being/food-assistance/, call: 571-748-2600, email: email@example.com
- Salvation Army: visit http://salvationarmynca.org/princewilliam/, email: Shawnte.Brown@uss.salvationarmy.org
- StreetLight Community Outreach Ministries: visit http://thestreetlight.org/, call: 703-491-2288, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be mindful that the Patriot Pantry is specifically for students experiencing food insecurity and/or financial difficulties. If you are an employee in need but are not a student, please visit Mason Human Resources: Support Resources or other local resources listed below.
All items in the Pantry are donated, so we function through the support of others! While we appreciate all forms of generosity, there are frequently requested items that are most popular with student clients. Below you will find a list of frequently requested food and personal items. Traditional canned goods are generally not accepted as donations, because they do not meet the needs of our current student clientele. Please bring all donations to the Student Support and Advocacy Center in SUB I, Suite #3200.
You can also order popular food items through the Patriot Pantry’s online Amazon Wish List. These items will be delivered directly to the Student Support and Advocacy Center.
To contribute monetarily to the Patriot Pantry, please donate to the Student Food and Housing Insecurity Fund.
|Food Items||Toiletry Items|
|Instant Oatmeal Packs||Body Wash|
|Cans of Tuna or Chicken (pull tab open)||Conditioner|
|Breakfast Cereal Bars/ Cereal||Body spray|
|Pasta / Pasta Sauce ||Bars of Soap|
|Mac and Cheese||Feminine Hygiene Products|
|Crackers (peanut butter, cheese)|
The Pop Up Pantry was created in December 2014 by then graduate student Yara Mowafy and University Life staff member Michael Galvin. Their original goal was to raise awareness regarding the various challenges that some George Mason University students face regarding food insecurity. In response, Yara and Michael created a food pantry to provide access to non-perishable food items, toiletries, and basic school supplies to students who could not afford them.
In the 2015-2016 academic year, daily operation of the Pantry was taken over by undergraduate students Gary Hooker and Noah Shoates. They further developed the Pantry and were instrumental in relocating to a new designated space in SUB I. In the spring 2017 semester, the name of the Pantry was officially changed to the Patriot Pantry. The Patriot Pantry has continued to develop and serve the George Mason University student population.
The Patriot Pantry is a member of the College and University Food Bank Alliance.