The Student Emergency Assistance application application has been re-opened. Funding requests for the Fall 2020 semester may be submitted at the link below. Please note, due to a high number of applications, it may take 6-8 weeks or more for a decision. If you are in crisis or in need of immediate assistance, please submit our “Request an Appointment” Form so we can best assist you.
The application can be found here: https://ulife.gmu.edu/student-emergency-assistance-funding-2-2/.
If some other funding options to consider:
- Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans: The subsidized/unsubsidized loans have a current interest rate of 2.75% fixed for undergraduate level loans and 4.30% fixed for graduate level loans. As a result of an executive order due to COVID, no interest will start accruing on any federal student loans until December 31, 2020.
- Parent Plus Loans: Dependent students can have a parent apply for a parent plus loan. The current interest rate on these loans is 5.30% fixed. If a parent’s parent plus loan request is denied, a dependent student can apply for an additional unsubsidized loan by e-mailing the Office of Student Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate Plus Loans: Graduate students, who have already received the maximum unsubsidized loan, can apply for a graduate plus loan that has a 5.30% fixed interest rate.
- Private Loans: Students, who are not eligible for federal aid or who want to explore different interest rate options, can look into private loans.
- Outside Scholarships: Outside scholarships can be found through fastweb.com.
If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com. In addition, if you are still experiencing financial hardship after exhausting all of your aid options and need additional assistance, you can request a meeting with an advocate from Student Support and Advocacy Center by going to ssac.gmu.edu and clicking ‘Request a Meeting.’