While there is no way to guarantee your safety, there are some things you can do to make yourself less vulnerable. All of this information is to help you reduce your risk and be safer.
- Use a gender-neutral screen name.
- Do not post your age, address, phone number, or schedule on your profile or away message.
- Never say anything online you would not say in person.
- Use privacy settings to help control who can access your information.
- Put your best face forward. Your online profile may be someone’s only impression of you—remember that parents, professors, police, and future employers have access to sites such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Be nice. Civility matters, even on the Internet—online behavior is still subject to the University Code of Student Conduct, and the law. In Virginia, it can also be a crime.
- Nothing on the internet is ever gone for good. You can’t control who will print, save or distribute your images. Consider this when you decide what to share.